Lecture 2: Hardy Exotics: The History and Art of Cornish Gardens and Houses Part 2
Trewidden, (Penzance) and Trengwainton NT (Madron.)
This second lecture in a series of 6 by Catherine Wallace, features these two gardens which were developed by members of the Bolitho family in the mid 19th century just outside Penzance. Trewidden being originally an open cast mine is now a renowned garden with nationally recognised collections of camelias, magnolias and tree ferns. Trengwainton, now owned by the National Trust, was developed by Lieutenant Colonel Sir Edward Bolitho KCB CB DSO, when he inherited in 1924 and was fortunate to be offered a share in Kingdom Ward’s plants brought back from his expedition to Assam and Burma (1927-28) hence the garden has a fine collection of rhododendrons as well as magnolias and camelias. It also has an ever changing flowering border known as the Stream garden as it is by the side of the stream that runs through the garden. This runs parallel to the drive which has also become a focus for the garden. The walled kitchen garden with its sloping beds are also a rare feature.