In their 40th anniversary year, The Sixteen perform at the cathedral as part of their 2019 'Choral Pilgrimage' tour.
The 2019 Choral Pilgrimage brings together music past and present, highlighting The Sixteen’s choral journey over the last 40 years. The close relationship with Sir James MacMillan continues with a new commission O virgo prudentissima, contrasted with music by Fayrfax performed on the very first recording, alongside music by Wylkynson and Sheppard. These fine examples of English polyphony are juxtaposed with stunning music by Tavener and Eric Whitacre.
Harry Christophers conductor
Eamonn Dougan conductor (for selected performances)
- Plainsong Salve Regina
- Tavener Hymn to the Mother of God
- Sheppard ‘Gloria’ from Cantate Mass
- Eric Whitacre Sainte-Chapelle
- Wylkynson Salve Regina a9#
- Fayrfax Aeternae laudis lilium
- Gabriel Jackson Ave Maria
- Tavener Hymn for the Dormition of the Mother of God
- James MacMillan O virgo prudentissima (new commission)
- Sheppard ‘Agnus Dei’ from Cantate Mass