Walk of the Month: Bude Canal and Coast
A figure-of-8 walk at Bude where the demand for lime-rich sand could not even be met by 4000 horses a day and so a 35 mile canal was built to transport it to the Tamar Valley.
- Shops and cafés in the seaside resort of Bude
- Sandy beaches at Summerleaze and Crooklets
- Wildlife including wading birds such as herons and egrets along the River Neet, Bude Canal and in the marshes
- Historic tidal Sea Pool and Bude Castle, and not-so-historic Bude Tunnel (8th wonder of the world according to Tripadvisor)
- Option to split into separate 2 mile and 1.7 mile circular walks
The route can alternatively be done as two separate shorter circular walks. The first loop is along the canal and returns along the cycle track across Bude Marshes. The second loop of the walk is along the coast past the Sea Pool to Crooklets, returning past the Bude Tunnel and through the town.
Gradients: There is a steady climb on the path from Summerleaze car park to Summerleaze Crescent. There is also a long but gentle climb from Crooklets car park to Sainsbury’s.
Distance: 3.9 miles – Steepness: Easy
Footwear: Any comfortable shoes (all paths are surfaced)
Read more and download the walk here
iWalk Cornwall is a collection of thoughtfully-crafted circular walks and a guided walks mobile app created by two brothers from Trewarmett who are passionate about the mindboggling number of amazing things in Cornwall.